- Protect public health
- Protect existing and developing fisheries industries (capture and aquaculture)
- Protect tourists, residents, and the tourism industry from toxic and noxious blooms
- Protect ecosystem resources
- Protect potable water supplies
- Build national capacity (infrastructure and personnel) for monitoring and management of red tides and other marine environmental issues
Elements of monitoring programmes:
- Record and observation of environmental oceanographic parameters, planktons samples and marine organism kill.
- Collect samples of water, phytoplankton, fishes and s shellfishes and other marine organisms from the site of the red tide event.
- Conduct analysis of samples for identification and quantification of phytoplankton species specially harmful algae and HABs toxicity
- Assess and interpret the results of the analysis red tide.
- Establish long term action plans to mitigate the effects of red tide.
Early warning for Red Tide
Utilize satellite images and aerial photos for the detection of any biological activity in the UAE marine and coastal water.
Advantages of the program
- Develop the ability to identify the harmful planktons and analyze their toxicity.
- Develop the ability to monitor and predict the harmful planktons at low cost and during a short period of time.
- Protect coastal waters and public health.
- Improve the economic and production efficiency of fish farming and ensure safety of marine organisms.
- Raise the awareness of public towards Red tide phenomenon.
- Take measures to monitor and management of red tide through collecting samples of water from various sites along UAE coastal marine water.
- Establish action and emergency plan to mitigate the impacts of Red tide on marine resources and habitats.
- Cooperate and coordinate with the competent authorities and desalination plants in monitor and management of red tide.
- establish communicating channels with the specialized experts in red tide.
- Routine monitoring of phytoplankton and toxins in shellfish.
- Specify the sources and types of nutrients.
- Conduct studies related to remote sensing and aerial photos.
- Develop numerical models.
- Conduct studies and research to mitigate the Red tide phenomenon.
- Regulate water ballast.
- Adopt modern techniques of early warning systems.
- Personnel training in the field of marine environment sciences.